Have you got a task to write a descriptive essay? Now you may feel puzzled and confused but in reality, the task isn't that difficult. What do you do every day when sharing your impressions about a new film, the place you've visited, etc.? You try to use all of your senses to describe something so vividly that the listener can have a clear picture in his or her mind. Descriptive essay writing has the same purpose – to describe the situation, location, object, feeling, etc. How to do this in the right way? Consider the essay definition and descriptive essay examples to understand what features and peculiarities this type of essay has.
What is a descriptive essay example?
There are 4 main types of writing: expository, narrative, response, and descriptive essay. Each has its own features. A descriptive essay is a piece of writing, which aims to create a feeling in the reader that he/she was in the place described, tasted the food, got new experience, etc. Sometimes, there is no need to go somewhere to see it. Using the power of words is a real art. Good writers can create brilliant descriptions so that the reader has a feeling he/she is the main character of the book. Have you ever had such a feeling? Then, you should know that this effect can be achieved only if the writer uses sensory information. A descriptive essay definition sounds as “ the paper, which focuses on a certain topic and gives a detailed description of it. When creating descriptive essay examples college, you should follow the format rules.
What should you write in a descriptive essay?
Like any other essay, a descriptive essay consists of an introduction, the main body, and the conclusion.
- In the first part, you present the chosen topic. Include a strong thesis statement that should consist of 1-2 sentences.
- The second part should be up to 3-4 paragraphs. It's where you discuss the topics in detail. Devote each paragraph to a new piece of description.
- The final part, the conclusion, is the summary of the points presented in the paper. There should be a connection between the thesis statement and the end of the essay.
Tips on how to write a great introduction for a descriptive essay
The most difficult thing is to start. Everyone knows that you've only one chance to make a positive impression. If you fail to hook the reader from the first lines, you can't count on the success. Here are simple tips for writing an introduction for good descriptive essay examples.
- Brainstorm ideas on writing a powerful opening. Use attention grabbers to hook your target audience.
- Introduce the topic using all five senses. Your task is to enable the reader to feel the atmosphere of the story.
- Find as many vivid adjectives and language means as possible to depict your words.
- Imagine you're not the writer but the artist who is drawing a picture. For example, you need to write descriptive essay examples of a place. Tell about everything you saw and felt in a certain place so that readers listen to the music you heard, felt the flavor of the flowers growing them, and enjoy the same emotions you had.
- Choose a good topic you'll be able to describe in much detail. When picking the title, avoid too broad or too narrow topics. Give preference to the topic you know much about. You'll increase your chances to engage the reader if you tell about personal experience.
Have a look at the introductions for descriptive essay examples for high school:
- “He is the man of contraindications whom I don't understand but exactly this makes him so attractive for me. It isn't easy to get what he means when talking about simple things. When listening to his speech, I always have a feeling that I am a freshman who has just entered college in the USA and is standing in front of a professor.”
- “Everyone has his or her special place where he/she can escape from the whole world. Don't you have the one? If you feel sad, come to my special place, which helps to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature. It isn't just a great landscape. In this place, I feel that I am free to do everything I want. The power of nature makes me stronger than I am.”
A descriptive essay sample
You may read hundreds of guides on how to write a descriptive essay examples and still have questions. It's better to see once than to hear a thousand times. Check the descriptive essay sample below.
“On weekends, if the weather is sunny, my sister and I go out to swim in the river or take a walk through the forest. Especially beautiful is the mixed forest. I like to walk and guess what kind of trees grow there. Here in front of me are friendly asses, blond birch trees, lonely rowan trees, as well as majestic oaks. Forest summer fascinates with its lush greenery. When you go deeper into the thicket, you immediately feel the coolness and freshness. It is pleasant to inhale clean air filled with the smell of flowering plants.
High bushes and grasses often grow in the forest, sometimes it is difficult to move around if there are no trails. In the summer, people are attracted to the forest not only by its green decoration but also berries with mushrooms. It is very pleasant to come across a large strawberry field to pick up fragrant berries to drink tea with jam in cold winter. In addition to strawberries, forests are also rich in raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and blueberries.
When July comes, warm summer rains will pass, then mushrooms will appear - these are brown cap boletus, aspen mushrooms, and honey agarics. Forest in the summer season is filled with life. It is only necessary to be attentive and look at everything happening around. You can come across a large anthill, watch how hard-working ants run. If you get to the meadow with flowering plants, you can see how butterflies, bees and bumblebees fly from one flower to another. It is very pleasant to listen to songs of birds that settled in the forest.
You can hear the singing of thrushes, orioles, tits, and nightingales or a knock of the woodpecker on the trees. If you're lucky, then you'll see a hedgehog hurrying somewhere. At the sight of a man, it immediately turns into a ball. It is necessary to depart, as the hedgehog will run again on its path. No wonder the forest is considered natural wealth. It gives us great gifts. You just need to treat them carefully, preserving the forest beauty.”
Use the tips above and free descriptive essay examples to create a high-quality essay paper. If you still need extra help, don’t hesitate to use custom writing services in Canada.
As a final advice, use the ovulation-calculators.com to see your most fertile days and when you're most likely to conceive during the month.